Blog #4: All things Disney


What is your relationship to Disney and animated children’s culture?  What role did these texts play in your life as a child, if any? In that of any children you share time with? How do your memories challenge or reflect Christensen’s claims? How does Frozen meet or challenge your memories of princess culture?

I grew up loving everything Disney and other popular animated movies/TV shows. Besides owning practically every Disney movie on VHS, I also owned and enjoyed cartoons like Fern Gully, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Gargoyles. There was no bias when it came to cartoons for me!

I loved watching  princess movies (Little Mermaid was a personal favorite) but I never wished to pursue a career as a princess. I would have much rather play basketball with my older brother, but I do admit that at some point I probably planned to find a Prince Charming of my own. 

Another thins from tonights reading that was a valid point is the blatant racist depictions of non-white characters. This is not news to me, it has been brought to my attention on a few occasions through teachers, YouTube videos, and unoffical biographies  that Walt himself was a NAZI sympathizer. If that is the case it is no surprise that non-white characters are portrayed in a negative light (Jim Crow Laws and the black crows in Dumbo?).




Comments

  1. Nice blog, Leah!! Really, princesses and Barbies were not on my list of favorite things either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer playing basketball over playing princess too! Do you think that some of those Disney movies affected your expectation of guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your juxtaposition of finding your own prince and playing basketball. Though I am the least athletic person I know, I would have always wanted to paint something as a child than play princess!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #3

Turkle & Wesch